This course is focused on the use of correct and effective language and organizational skills in preparing, delivering, and evaluating different types of oral presentations and debate. Students will critique speeches, paying attention to content, organization, language, and delivery style, and produce and present well-structured, developed
The purpose of this course is to develop grade 6 students' beginning awareness, understanding, and
application of language arts as it applies to oral communication concepts and strategies in a
variety of given settings.
The content should include, but not be limited to, the following:
- learning and practicing a variety of speech forms
- learning and demonstrating appropriate formal and informal public speaking techniques for audience, purpose, and occasion
- eye contact and body movements
- voice register and choices of language arts
- use of standard English
- using research & writing skills to support selected topics and points of view
- across a range of disciplines
- using a range of sources, including digital
- collaboration amongst peers, especially during the drafting and practicing stages
English Language Development ELD Standards Special Notes Section:
Teachers are required to provide listening, speaking, reading and writing instruction that allows
English language learners (ELL) to communicate information, ideas and concepts for academic
success in the content area of Language Arts. For the given level of English language proficiency
and with visual, graphic, or interactive support, students will interact with grade level words,
expressions, sentences and discourse to process or produce language necessary for academic success.
The ELD standard should specify a relevant content area concept or topic of study chosen by
curriculum developers and teachers which maximizes an ELL’s need for communication and social
skills. To access an ELL supporting document which delineates performance definitions and
descriptors, please click on the following link: https://cpalmsmediaprod.blob.core.windows.net/uploads/docs/standards/eld/la.pdf.