Demonstrate knowledge of the basic concepts of print.
- Locate a printed word on a page.
- Distinguish letters from words within sentences.
- Match print to speech to demonstrate that language is represented by print.
- Identify parts of a book (front cover, back cover, title page).
- Move top to bottom and left to right on the printed page; returning to the beginning of the next line.
- Identify all upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
- Recognize that print conveys specific meaning and pictures may support meaning.
Clarification 1: Matching print to speech involves making a one-to-one correspondence between a spoken word and the print on the page. This can be accomplished by having the child point to each word in a sentence as it is read by an adult.
Subject Area: English Language Arts (B.E.S.T. - Effective starting 2021-2022)
Strand: Foundational Skills
Date Adopted or Revised: 08/20
Status: State Board Approved