Wire We All Wet?:
A fire caused by faulty wiring set off a sprinkler system, which damaged a school. The school must be remodeled and the electrical wiring must be replaced. Students will use newspaper accounts to solve the mystery of how the fire happened. Then they become engineers and decide which materials to use to as conductors and which to use as insulators. In order to complete this task, students will learn about insulators and conductors, and practice reading nonfiction text and ordering decimals.