General Course Information and Notes
The purpose of this course is to provide students with the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills necessary to make healthy choices with the overall goal of improving quality of life, as well as describe the relationships between a healthy behavior, environment and personal health.
The content should include, but not be limited to the following:
- Core Concepts (mental/emotional, physical, and social health promotion , disease and injury prevention)
- Accessing Information (cultural influences, medical resources, emergency drills, school and community health)
- Internal and External Influences (available resources, products and services)
- Interpersonal Communication (conflict resolution, verbal and non-verbal, active listening and refusal skills)
- Decision Making (positive/negative healthy options and decisions)
- Goal Setting (short and long term health targets, personal health and small groups)
- Self Management (self enhancing responsible choices and healthy practices)
- Advocacy (positive promotion and modeling healthy choices)
Teaching from a well-written, grade-level textbook enhances students' content area knowledge and also strengthens their ability to comprehend longer, complex reading passages on any topic for any reason. Using the following instructional practices also helps student learning:
- Reading assignments from longer text passages as well as shorter ones when text is extremely complex.
- Making close reading and rereading of texts central to lessons.
- Asking high-level, text-specific questions and requiring high-level, complex tasks and assignments.
- Requiring students to support answers with evidence from the text.
- Providing extensive text-based research and writing opportunities (claims and evidence).
Any student whose parent makes written request to the school principal shall be exempted from the teaching of reproductive health or any disease, including HIV/AIDS, its symptoms, development, and treatment. A student so exempted may not be penalized by reason of that exemption.
Course Number: 5008060
Abbreviated Title: HEALTH - GRADE 4
Course Status: Course Approved