General Course Information and Notes
M/J World Cultures
- The social studies curriculum for this course consists of the following content area strands: World History, Geography, and Economics. The primary content for this course pertains to the study of the significant contributions of world cultural groups. Students will use social studies concepts, tools, and skills to draw conclusions regarding the varied characteristics of cultural groups. Content should include, but is not limited to the characteristics of a cultural group, the development of cultural societies, and the complexity of global issues. Students will study methods of historical inquiry and primary and secondary historical documents. Instructional Practices
Teaching from well-written, grade-level instructional materials enhances students' content area knowledge and also strengthens their ability to comprehend longer, complex reading passages on any topic for any reason. Using the following instructional practices also helps student learning:
- Reading assignments from longer text passages as well as shorter ones when text is extremely complex.
- Making close reading and rereading of texts central to lessons.
- Asking high-level, text-specific questions and requiring high-level, complex tasks and assignments.
- Requiring students to support answers with evidence from the text.
- Providing extensive text-based research and writing opportunities (claims and evidence).
Course Number: 2105020
Abbreviated Title: M/J WORLD CLTRS
Course Status: Course Approved