Find the unknown number in an equation (+, - ) relating four whole numbers.
- Identify the blank or symbol that represents a number (e.g., “n,” “x”)
- Use manipulatives or a calculator to solve an equation (e.g., 3 + 2 = n + 1).
º Solve one side of the equation (3 + 2 = n + 1, 5 = n + 1).
º Determine the unknown number that makes the equation true (5 = n + 1, so n = 4).
- Understand the following concepts, symbols, and vocabulary for unknown symbols, operations (+, -), equality.
- Identify or draw a pictorial representation that matches the equation.
- Solve the equation using a pictorial representation or numbers.
Category: Access Points