- Identify the blank or symbol that represents a number (e.g., “n,” “x”)
- Use manipulatives or a calculator to solve an equation (e.g., 3 + 2 = n + 1).
º Solve one side of the equation (3 + 2 = n + 1, 5 = n + 1).
º Determine the unknown number that makes the equation true (5 = n + 1, so n = 4).
- Understand the following concepts, symbols, and vocabulary for unknown symbols, operations (+, -), equality.
- Identify or draw a pictorial representation that matches the equation.
- Solve the equation using a pictorial representation or numbers.
|Number: MAFS.4.OA.1.AP.ba||Category: Access Points|
Use the four operations with whole numbers to solve problems. (Major Cluster) :
Clusters should not be sorted from Major to Supporting and then taught in that order. To do so would strip the coherence of the mathematical ideas and miss the opportunity to enhance the major work of the grade with the supporting clusters.