GENERAL NOTESThis course provides students with skills and information to enable them to care for and nurture the infant child. Emphasis is placed on child safety, nutrition, and growth and development. Additional content includes care of the sick or injured child, parental rights and responsibilities, consumer skills, and building positive family relationships.
The content should include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Family life
- Personal health
- Internet safety
- Mental and emotional health
- Injury prevention and safety
- Personal health
- Prevention and control of disease
- Community and consumer health
Teaching from a well-written, grade-level textbook enhances students' content area knowledge and also strengthens their ability to comprehend longer, complex reading passages on any topic for any reason. Using the following instructional practices also helps student learning:
- Reading assignments from longer text passages as well as shorter ones when text is extremely complex.
- Making close reading and rereading of texts central to lessons.
- Asking high-level, text specific questions and requiring high-level, complex tasks and assignments.
- Requiring students to support answers with evidence from the text.
- Providing extensive text-based research and writing opportunities (claims and evidence).
English Language Development ELD Standards Special Notes Section:
Teachers are required to provide listening, speaking, reading and writing instruction that allows English language learners (ELL) to communicate for social and instructional purposes within the school setting. For the given level of English language proficiency and with visual, graphic, or interactive support, students will interact with grade level words, expressions, sentences and discourse to process or produce language necessary for academic success. The ELD standard should specify a relevant content area concept or topic of study chosen by curriculum developers and teachers which maximizes an ELL’s need for communication and social skills. To access an ELL supporting document which delineates performance definitions and descriptors, please click on the following link: http://www.cpalms.org/uploads/docs/standards/eld/SI.pdf
For additional information on the development and implementation of the ELD standards, please contact the Bureau of Student Achievement through Language Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org.