Course Number: 1001460
Course Section: Grades PreK to 12 Education Courses
Abbreviated Title: APPL COMMS 1
Course Level: 2
Course Status : Course Approved
Keywords: PreK to 12 Education, Pre K to 12 Education, Grades 9 to 12 and Adult Education, High School, Secondary, 9-12, 9 to 12, Language Arts, Applied Communications 1, Applied Communications, Communications, APPL COMMS 1, Core
Grade Level(s): 9, 10, 11, 12
VERSION DESCRIPTIONThe purpose of this course is to develop initial college and career readiness communication skills within the context of a career and technical work environment, including community collaboration and leadership.
The content should include, but not be limited to, the following:
- using problem solving skills and research skills primarily in career and technical profession contexts
- reading on-grade level informational and technical texts to obtain and analyze information and synthesize into evidence supporting the text
- writing informational and argument texts to communicate information and ideas with an emphasis on career, technical, and occupational tasks
- using listening and speaking skills to obtain and communicate information and ideas regarding career and technical workforce collaboration and success
- understanding interpersonal relationships in business, career, and technical environments through the study of appropriate on grade-level fiction and related primary documents
- using digital, multimedia, and electronic tools appropriately to enable and enhance workplace transactions
- understanding interpersonal relationships in business career and technical environments through the study of appropriate on grade-level fiction and related primary documents
- using highly complex digital and multimedia informational text, along with appropriate electronic tools to enable and enhance workplace transactions
- using listening, speaking, and viewing strategies with emphasis on the use of evidence to support or refute a claim in multimedia presentations, class discussions, and extended text discussions
- collaborating amongst peers
GENERAL NOTESSpecial Notes:
Instructional Practices: Teaching from well-written, grade-level instructional materials enhances students' content area knowledge and also strengthens their ability to comprehend longer, complex reading passages on any topic for any purpose. Using the following instructional practices also helps student learning.
- Reading assignments from longer text passages, as well as shorter ones when text is extremely complex.
- Making close reading and rereading of texts central to lessons.
- Asking high-level, text-specific questions and requiring high-level, complex tasks and assignments.
- Requiring students to support answers with evidence from the text.
- Providing extensive text-based research and writing opportunities (claims and evidence).