Teaching from a well-written, grade-level textbook enhances students’ content area knowledge and also strengthens their ability to comprehend longer, complex reading passages on any topic for any reason. Using the following instructional practices also helps student learning:
- Reading assignments from longer text passages as well as shorter ones when text is extremely complex.
- Making close reading and rereading of texts central to lessons.
- Asking high-level, text-specific questions and requiring high-level, complex tasks and assignments.
- Requiring students to support answers with evidence from the text.
- Providing extensive text-based research and writing opportunities (claims and evidence).
(Aerospace Technologies Program):
41.0 Demonstrate leadership and teamwork skills needed to accomplish team goals and objectives.
41.01 Employ leadership skills to accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
41.02 Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in order to accomplish objectives and tasks.
41.03 Conduct and participate in meetings to accomplish work tasks.
41.04 Employ mentoring skills to inspire and teach others.