The CPALMS Code initiative offers a combination of a coding app, lessons, and a professional development program. It is currently only available for teachers that participate in the CPALMS Code workshop for grades 4-8.
Our approach to coding is about integrating computer science with teaching math and science to create unique integrated STEM activities. The primary focus of these lessons is teaching math and science so these tools/lessons are designed with math and science teachers in mind. We have at least one full unit of instruction for each of grades 4-8 and some of our lessons integrate Mantis sensors to provide software and hardware coding experience and to enrich scientific experiments with real-life data. The CPALMS Code app integrates the popular Scratch block coding platform with custom libraries that enable connecting probe and sensor hardware from Mantis (www.MantisOpenStem.com) and access to CPALMS lesson files within the app. The CPALMS Code app can be used with or without the CPALMS code lessons. You can use the app if you want to create block code from scratch, integrate data from Mantis sensors in an app, or use a CPALMS Code lesson. Click on the links below to access or learn more about each component:
Click on the buttons to access the CPALMS Code lessons. Clicking on the "All CPALMS Code Lessons" provide you access to all the lessons or you can access lessons that require the Mantis sensors or those that do not in their own buttons. Accessing these lessons is limited to participating teachers and require you to be logged in to your iCPALMS account.
Lessons that use the Mantis sensors require the teacher/students to have access to the specific sensor in their classroom.
All coding lessons require the use of the CPALMS Code app that you can download and install from the section below.
The CPALMS Code app includes three main modes:
Getting Started Guides:
System Requirements for Mac and Windows:
- The installation options on Mac and Windows require administrator privileges.
- A recent version of the operating system.
- Default browser that supports Adobe Flash Player. All current browsers on Mac and Windows currently do except Microsoft Edge. If your default browser is Microsoft Edge (does not support Flash), you will need to change it to Internet Explorer, Chrome, or FireFox.
- An up-to-date Adobe Flash Player plug-in for Scratch to run
- (Optional) For using Mantis Sensors, you will need Bluegiga Bluetooth 4.0 dongle to connect wirelessly to the sensors
CPALMS has designed a 4-day computer science professional development (PD) workshop for teachers. Our PD is designed to work with math and science teachers that have no to little experience in computer science to help them integrate them within their classrooms. Teachers participating in our PD will: