The CPALMS Code initiative offers a combination of a coding app, lessons, and a professional development program. It is currently only available for teachers that participate in the CPALMS Code workshop for grades 4-8.
Our approach to coding is about integrating computer science with teaching math and science to create unique integrated STEM activities. The primary focus of these lessons is teaching math and science so these tools/lessons are designed with math and science teachers in mind. We have at least one full unit of instruction for each of grades 4-8 and some of our lessons integrate Mantis sensors to provide software and hardware coding experience and to enrich scientific experiments with real-life data. The CPALMS Code app integrates the popular Scratch block coding platform with custom libraries that enable connecting probe and sensor hardware from Mantis (www.mantisedu.io) and access to CPALMS lesson files within the app. The CPALMS Code app can be used with or without the CPALMS code lessons. You can use the app if you want to create block code from scratch, integrate data from Mantis sensors in an app, or use a CPALMS Code lesson. Click on the links below to access or learn more about each component:
CPALMS Code = Lessons + Desktop Coding App + Professional Development
CPALMS Code Lessons
Click on the buttons to access the CPALMS Code lessons. Clicking on the "All CPALMS Code Lessons" provide you access to all the lessons or you can access lessons that require the Mantis sensors or those that do not in their own buttons. Accessing these lessons is limited to participating teachers and require you to be logged in to your iCPALMS account.
Lessons that use the Mantis sensors require the teacher/students to have access to the specific sensor in their classroom.
All coding lessons require the use of the CPALMS Code app that you can download and install from the section below.
CPALMS Code App
The CPALMS Code app includes three main modes:
- A Scratch Playground to start a blank code file and build any app. This includes access to libraries that connect the Mantis App and can be used online or offline;
- Integrated CPALMS Lesson files that enables you and your students to easily access lesson files within the app; and
- Example projects using Mantis Sensors that you can start from.
Install the CPALMS Code App
- MAC: Download installer l Installation instructions
- Windows Options:
- Install App: Download installer l Installation instructions
- Run without installation: Download files l Setup instructions
Getting Started Guides:
- Getting Started with CPALMS Code
- Getting Started with the Mantis Climate Sensor inside CPALMS Code
- Getting Started with the Mantis Sensor Wand inside CPALMS Code
System Requirements for Mac and Windows:
- The installation options on Mac and Windows require administrator privileges.
- A recent version of the operating system.
- Default browser that supports Adobe Flash Player. All current browsers on Mac and Windows currently do except Microsoft Edge. If your default browser is Microsoft Edge (does not support Flash), you will need to change it to Internet Explorer, Chrome, or FireFox.
- An up-to-date Adobe Flash Player plug-in for Scratch to run
- (Optional) For using Mantis Sensors, you will need Bluegiga Bluetooth 4.0 dongle to connect wirelessly to the sensors
CPALMS Professional Development
CPALMS has designed a 4-day computer science professional development (PD) workshop for teachers. Our PD is designed to work with math and science teachers that have no to little experience in computer science to help them integrate them within their classrooms. Teachers participating in our PD will:
- Learn how to integrate computer science with math and science
- Gain access to the CPALMS Code lessons
- Receive the Mantis Sensors and related hardware (optional)
- Provide feedback on the training, lessons, and future development of this program