Write arguments focused on discipline-specific content.
- Introduce claim(s) about a topic or issue, acknowledge and distinguish the claim(s) from alternate or opposing claims, and organize the reasons and evidence logically.
- Support claim(s) with logical reasoning and relevant, accurate data and evidence that demonstrate an understanding of the topic or text, using credible sources.
- Use words, phrases, and clauses to create cohesion and clarify the relationships among claim(s), counterclaims, reasons, and evidence.
- Establish and maintain a formal style.
- Provide a concluding statement or section that follows from and supports the argument presented.
Subject Area: English Language Arts
Strand: Writing Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects
Idea: Level 3: Strategic Thinking & Complex Reasoning
Cluster: Text Types and Purposes
Date Adopted or Revised: 12/10
Date of Last Rating: 02/14
Status: State Board Approved