TEST ITEM SPECIFICATIONS
This benchmark may be assessed using:
- Assessment Limits :
Items may ask the student to integrate information in order to develop or support inferences drawn from the texts. Items should require the student to use details from two or more texts and should be developed to text sets on the same topic.
- Text Types :
The items assessing this standard may be used with two or more grade-appropriate informational texts. Texts may vary in complexity.
- Response Mechanisms :
The Enhanced Item Descriptions section on page 3 provides a list of Response Mechanisms that may be used to assess this standard (excluding the Editing Task Choice item type). The Sample Response Mechanisms may include, but are not limited to, the examples below.
- Task Demand and Sample Response Mechanisms :
Integrate information from two or more texts to make or support an inference drawn from the texts.
Sample Response Mechanisms
- Requires the student to select sentences or phrases from each text that support an inference drawn from the texts.
- Requires the student to select the correct inference about the texts and then to select words or phrases from each text to support that inference.
- Requires the student to select the answer to a question requiring an inference using information from two or more texts.
- Requires the student to select multiple words, phrases, or sentences from the texts to support an inference about the texts.
- Requires the student to complete a table by matching inferences from several texts with supporting details from each text.