TEST ITEM SPECIFICATIONS
This benchmark may be assessed using:
- Assessment Limits :
Items may ask the student to use details from a text to determine the theme. The theme may be explicitly or implicitly stated. Items may ask the student to summarize the text as a whole or to identify key events as part of a summary.
- Text Types :
The items assessing this standard may be used with one or more grade-appropriate literary texts. Texts may vary in complexity
- Response Mechanisms :
The Enhanced Item Descriptions section on page 3 provides a list of Response Mechanisms that may be used to assess this standard (excluding the Editing Task Choice item type). The Sample Response Mechanisms may include, but are not limited to, the examples below
- Task Demand and Sample Response Mechanisms :Task Demand
Determine a theme of a text.
Sample Response Mechanisms
- Requires the student to select the theme of the passage and then to choose textual evidence to support the answer.
- Requires the student to select the theme of the passage. Provide a summary of the text.
- Requires the student to select details from the text that are necessary for a summary.
- Requires the student to identify the correct summary of the text.
- Requires the student to select multiple details from the text that are necessary for a summary. Table Match • Requires the student to complete a table that creates a summary of the text.