Grade Level(s): 9, 10, 11, 12
Computer for Presenter, Internet Connection, Adobe Acrobat Reader
Keywords: cancer, sunscreen, model, cell cycle, laboratory, experiment, hypothesis testing, scientific method, UV, yeast, microbiology, critical thinking
After completing this activity, students will:
- understand that many people and organizations make claims about factors associated with the development of cancer and about agents that may help prevent or cure cancer;
- be able to explain that scientists evaluate such claims by applying systematic and rigorous criteria;
- be able to apply criteria such as the source, certainty, and reasonableness of the supporting information to media claims about cancer; and
- recognize that understanding the biology of cancer and the nature of science can help individuals and society make reasoned choices about factors related to cancer.
Source and Access Information
Name of Author/Source: Anonymously Submitted
Is this Resource freely Available? Yes
Access Privileges: Public
* Please note that examples of resources are not intended as complete curriculum.