General Course Information and Notes
This course description defines what students should understand and be able to do by the end of Grade K. The benchmarks are related to the College and Career Readiness (CCR) anchor standards, the exit standards of Florida's K -12 standards. These may be accessed in the General Information section of this course description under Additional Information.
The CCR anchor standards and grade-specific benchmarks are necessary complements - the former providing broad standards, the latter providing additional specificity - that together define the skills and understandings that all students must demonstrate at each grade level. Students advancing through the grades are expected to meet each succeeding year's grade specific benchmarks, retain or further develop skills and understandings mastered in preceding grades, and work steadily toward meeting the more general expectations described by the CCR anchor standards.
Teaching from well-written, grade-level instructional materials enhances students' content area knowledge and also strengthens their ability to comprehend longer, complex reading passages on any topic for any reason. Using the following instructional practices also helps student learning:
1. Reading assignments from longer text passages as well as shorter ones when text is extremely complex.
2. Making close reading and rereading of texts central to lessons.
3. Asking high-level, text-specific questions and requiring high-level, complex tasks and assignments.
4. Requiring students to support answers with evidence from the text.
5. Providing extensive text-based research and writing opportunities (claims and evidence).
Course Number: 5010041
Abbreviated Title: LANG ARTS GRADE K
Course Type: Core Academic Course
Course Status: Course Approved
Grade Level(s): K,1,2,3,4,5,PreK