Follow the rules of standard English grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling appropriate to grade level.
: Skills to be mastered at this grade level are as follows:
- Use subject-verb agreement with intervening clauses and phrases.
- Produce complete sentences, recognizing and correcting inappropriate fragments and run-ons.
- Use conjunctions.
Skills to be implemented but not yet mastered are as follows:
- Use principal modals to indicate the mood of a verb.
- Use appositives, main clauses, and subordinate clauses.
- Recognize and correct inappropriate shifts in tense and number.
- Use conjunctions correctly to join words and phrases in a sentence.
- Use verbals including gerunds, infinitives, and participial phrases.
- Use pronouns correctly with regard to case, number, and person, correcting for vague pronoun reference.
: See Convention Progression by Grade Level
for more information.
Subject Area: English Language Arts (B.E.S.T. - Effective starting 2021-2022)
Date Adopted or Revised: 08/20
Status: State Board Approved