Write informative/explanatory texts, including the narration of historical events, scientific procedures/ experiments, or technical processes.
- Introduce a topic clearly, previewing what is to follow; organize ideas, concepts, and information into broader categories as appropriate to achieving purpose; include formatting (e.g., headings), graphics (e.g., charts, tables), and multimedia when useful to aiding comprehension.
- Develop the topic with relevant, well-chosen facts, definitions, concrete details, quotations, or other information and examples.
- Use appropriate and varied transitions to create cohesion and clarify the relationships among ideas and concepts.
- Use precise language and domain-specific vocabulary to inform about or explain the topic.
- Establish and maintain a formal style and objective tone.
- Provide a concluding statement or section that follows from and supports the information or explanation presented.
Subject Area: English Language Arts
Strand: Writing Standards for Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects
Idea: Level 3: Strategic Thinking & Complex Reasoning
Cluster: Text Types and Purposes
Date Adopted or Revised: 12/10
Date of Last Rating: 02/14
Status: State Board Approved