Course Number: 1802330
Abbreviated Title: NAVAL SCI 4
Course Length: Year (Y)
Course Level: 2
Course Status: Course Approved
Grade Level(s): 9,10,11,12
GENERAL NOTESThe purpose of this course is to enable students to develop leadership skills including knowledge of individual needs and group dynamics, leadership principles and responsibilities, and effective communication strategies.
Teaching from a well-written, grade-level textbook enhances students’ content area knowledge and also strengthens their ability to comprehend longer, complex reading passages on any topic for any reason. Using the following instructional practices also helps student learning:
- Reading assignments from longer text passages as well as shorter ones when text is extremely complex.
- Making close reading and rereading of texts central to lessons.
- Asking high-level, text-specific questions and requiring high-level, complex tasks and assignments.
- Requiring students to support answers with evidence from the text.
- Providing extensive text-based research and writing opportunities (claims and evidence).
(Principles of Public Service Program):
04.0 Demonstrate leadership and teamwork skills needed to accomplish team goals and objectives
04.01 Employ leadership skills to accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
04.02 Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others in order to accomplish objectives and tasks.
04.03 Conduct and participate in meetings to accomplish work tasks.
04.04 Employ mentoring skills to inspire and teach others.
04.05 Employ critical thinking skills independently and in teams to solve problems and make decisions.
04.06 Employ critical thinking and interpersonal skills to resolve conflicts.
04.07 Identify and document workplace performance goals and monitor progress toward those goals.
04.08 Conduct technical research to gather information necessary for decision-making.